MU Extension MU Extension       University of Missouri    ●    Columbia    ●    Kansas City       Rolla     ●    St. Louis - Money Matters - Consumer Action


Finance Quick Answers



If your car is stolen and the insurance company says it will pay for the loss of the automobile, what about the things that were inside your car and trunk such as a cell phone, gifts, clothes from the cleaners or the children's toys?

Your car insurance won't cover those items but your homeowner's or renter's insurance most likely will, based on your deductible and depreciation. In most parts of the country, such policies routinely include a clause that covers "off-premise" theft-loss. There are some exceptions; some homeowner's policies in high crime urban areas do not include theft coverage. If that is the case, some policies allow you to purchase a separate off-premise theft protection. The costs of a cellular phone and clothes from the dry cleaners will have to be calculated including depreciation. On toys, gifts, etc., you should be reimbursed for the full cost of those items




Written by:
Sandra McKinnon, Consumer & Family Economics Specialist, University of Missouri Extension

Cynthia E. Crawford, Ph.D., Consumer & Family Economics Specialist, University of Missouri Extension












Can't Find Your Question Here? Try Searching Our Quick Answer Knowledge Base

Last update: Monday, July 28, 2008




University of Missouri logo links to

Site Administrator: 
Copyright  ADA  Equal Opportunity

MissouriFamilies is produced by the College of Human Environmental Sciences,
Extension Division, University of Missouri-Columbia