Some of the foods I canned in the boiling-water canner spoiled. Why?
Any one or more of the following may cause canned food to spoil when water bath processed:
- Inadequate heat penetration as a result of not having water at rolling boil when jars placed in canner.
- Not having water 1 inch or more above tops of all jars throughout entire processing time.
- Not keeping water at rolling boil entire processing time.
- Not adjusting for altitude.
- Not following time table carefully for product being canned.
- Produce coming unsealed because standard jars and lids not being used.
- Using cracked or chipped jars.
- Not using new flats.
Barbara Willenberg, Nutritional Sciences, University of Missouri-Columbia
Last update: Tuesday, May 05, 2009