What is the advantage of hot packing home-canned foods?
Hot packing is recommended because of the added safety factor and because less problems are associated with this method. Here are some specific reasons:
- Jar breakage can occur when raw packed foods are
placed in a boiling-water canner.
- Hot packing insures adequate heat penetration of
all food during processing.
- Problems such as floating fruit and liquid loss are
minimized by the hot pack method.
- Some air is removed, therefore, more food will fit
into the jars.
- Removing air not only shrinks food, but leads to
better color, flavor, and nutrient retention.
- Hot packed jars have a better vacuum, therefore
less oxidation (browning) occurs.
- Heating food before packing it into jars destroys enzymes which cause loss of quality and nutrients.
Last update: Tuesday, May 05, 2009