MU Extension MU Extension       University of Missouri    ●    Columbia    ●    Kansas City       Rolla     ●    St. Louis

MissouriFamilies.org - Food Safety

 

Quick Answers

 

 

Is it alright to use moldy jam?


No. Jams showing any amount of mold growth should be destroyed. It used to be considered safe to scrape the mold off of food and eat the remainder. Now it is known that mold grows beneath the surface of food and can cause problems if the food is ingested, especially if the person has an allergy to molds. In addition, some molds produce toxins that penetrate throughout the product. Therefore, it is not safe to first remove the mold growth and consume the product.            

 

 

Barbara Willenberg, Nutritional Sciences, University of Missouri-Columbia
 

 

 

 

Last update: Tuesday, May 05, 2009

 

 


University of Missouri logo links to http://extension.missouri.edu

Site Administrator:
mofamweb@missouri.edu
Copyright  ADA  Equal Opportunity


MissouriFamilies is produced by the College of Human Environmental Sciences,
Extension Division, University of Missouri