MU Extension MU Extension       University of Missouri    ●    Columbia    ●    Kansas City       Rolla     ●    St. Louis

MissouriFamilies.org -Housing

 

Housing Quick Answers

 

 

How can you recognize if carbon monoxide is in your home? 


Carbon monoxide is tasteless, odorless and dangerous to humans, animals, and plants. Fortunately, there are many visible signs indicating the presence of carbon monoxide.

  • Black soot on or around air registers, flues, burners or access openings to appliances
  • Condensation of moisture on inside windows (humidifiers & vaporizers can also cause condensation)
  • Dead or dying houseplants and animals
  • Abnormal flame characteristics, such as a yellow gas flame instead of blue, flame rolling out of the front of an appliance, or flame lifting off the burner

 

Dr. Ronn Phillips, Arch.D., Bobbi Hauptmann, Architectural Studies, College of Human Environmental Sciences, University of Missouri-Columbia

 

 

 

Can't Find Your Question Here? Try Searching Our Quick Answer Knowledge Base

Last update: Monday, May 18, 2009

 

 

 


 
University of Missouri logo links to http://extension.missouri.edu

Site Administrator:
mofamweb@missouri.edu 
Copyright  ADA  Equal Opportunity


MissouriFamilies is produced by the College of Human Environmental Sciences,
Extension Division, University of Missouri-Columbia