How safe is your home from burglary and theft?
From the outside of your home, consider how difficult it would be to break in. If you locked yourself out, could you easily break in or climb in through an unlocked window? Other areas to consider are:
- Exterior Doors -- Do they appear solid and sturdy?
- Windows -- Windows should be closed and locked anytime that you are not in your home or anytime at night.
- Sliding Glass Doors -- Built in locking systems are recommended.
- Outdoor Lighting -- Have lights placed near porches, outside of all doorways, garage doors and all other points of entry.
- Burglar Alarms -- Recommended if you reside in an isolated area or if you spend extended periods away from your home.
Dr. Ronn Phillips, Arch.D., and Bobbi Hauptmann, Environmental Design, College of Human Environmental Sciences, University of Missouri-Columbia
Last update: Monday, May 18, 2009