Do Universal Design principles play a role in housing safety?
The kitchen and the bathrooms in a home are typical areas were Universal Design principles contribute to a more sustainable living environment. Typical guidelines might include the following:
- People with limited ability to grip more easily use single lever faucet controls.
- Controls located on the side or front of a stove are easy to use without reaching.
- Non-adjustable wall cabinets can be installed at 15-inch clearance from the counter top for use by shorter persons.
- A side-entry bathtub with door and folding seat allows users with balance problems and limited physical mobility to soak.
- The height-adjustable shower is installed on the wall opposite the seated bather. A grab bar can be installed below the shower for transfer assistance.
Dr. Ronn Phillips, Arch.D., and Bobbi Hauptmann, Environmental Design, College of Human Environmental Sciences, University of Missouri-Columbia
Last update: Monday, May 18, 2009