Housing Quick Answers
- What is LEED?
- What is LEED for Homes?
- What's the difference between
the terms, renovation, remodeling, rehabilitation and restoration?
- Does the orientation of the house
on its site really matter?
- How important is natural light
in a house?
- Is there a good alternative to
the "deck" for outdoor activities?
- How can we add some "excitement" to our design without floor level changes?
- Should I update my lights
with the energy-saving compact fluorescent light bulbs?
- Is it true that Compact Fluorescent
Lights (CFL) contain mercury? What should I do if the CFL
- I need to hire an electrician.
What should I consider during the process?
- Replacing an outlet or switch
looks simple. Should I attempt to do it myself?
- How do I protect my home from
electrical surges and lightning strikes?
- I occasionally experience
partial outages in my home. What could be the cause?
- My home electricity flickers
off and on. What should I do
- Are fluorescent light bulbs
really worth the extra cost?
- Why can’t compact fluorescent
lights be used in can light fixtures?
- What does a homeowner need
to know about residential electrical systems?
- How does electrical service get to your house?
- What is standby power?
- What is a photovoltaic energy
provider and how does the system work?
- What are the key issues associated
with decreasing your home's energy consumption?
- What are the solar energy issues
you should consider for your home?
- Fireplaces seem to be very energy
inefficient and drafty, yet we enjoy the look and feel of a
real fire. Can fireplace efficiency be improved?
- What are the typical types of
residential thermal insulation materials?
- What are the features to consider
in the selection, design, and installation of a heating, ventilating,
and air-conditioning (HVAC) system?
- Should you consider "Owner-Build"
as a reasonable home building option?
- What are "sustainable" home building features?
- How do you get rid of magic
marker on a tile wall?
- How do we remove the smell
of mothballs? We are thinking of buying a house but the
home has an overwhelming mothball odor.
- I have an oak table with a
natural color top and white legs. I want to refinish it.
I'm fine with repainting the legs, but what do I do
about the natural color?
- Can the carpet on stairs can be turned so that the direction is not the same as the adjacent room? This would allow the stairs to be carpeted with left-over pieces.
- Am I eligible for government help
to refinance my home mortgage loan?
- I’m considering buying my first
home. How do I figure out how much I can afford?
- What are the first steps in purchasing
- What should you consider if you
are selling your home?
- Are there good reasons to rent
rather than buy a home?
- What are "green" homes and are
- Does the purchase price of a house
reflect its quality?
- If you are considering a remodeling project, what projects yield the best economic return?
- My home has an odor from animal
urine that has soaked the sub-floor and/or other building
materials. Can the odor be removed?
- What is "Radon" and why is
its presence in the home a health hazard?
- How do you test for radon
in your home?
- I used a radon self-test kit
and the reading was high. What do I do now?
- How can you recognize if carbon
monoxide is in your home?
- Is the quality of the air in
your home being threatened?
- What do you need to know about
mold in your home?
- How important is it to test
water quality before purchasing a house?
- How safe is your home from
burglary and theft?
- What do you need to know about
- What types of residential hazardous
waste could you have in your home?
- Do Universal Design principles
play a role in housing safety?
- How can safety around your home be increased through "Natural Surveillance?"
Can't Find Your Question
Here? Try Searching Our Quick Answer Knowledge Base
Last update: Wednesday, June 03, 2009