My child is considered “At Risk” for being overweight, what should I do?
For children with a BMI between the 85 and 95 percentile the appropriate goal is to maintain their weight. This can be accomplished by adopting healthy behaviors such as:
- Be more physically active.
- Spend less time watching TV.
- Spend less time playing computer and video games.
- Eat more family meals together.
- Eat a healthy breakfast.
- Eat more colorful vegetables and fruits.
- Drink less soda and sweetened fruit drinks.
- Eat less sweets and salty snacks.
Candance Gabel, M.S. R.D., Assistant Program Director, College of Human Environmental Sciences, University of Missouri Extension
Last update: Tuesday, December 09, 2008