MU Extension MU Extension       University of Missouri    ●    Columbia    ●    Kansas City       Rolla     ●    St. Louis - Food and Fitness



Quick Answers



My child is considered “Overweight”, what should I do?

If your child has a BMI greater than 95 percent, he is considered overweight. If there are secondary complications such as mild hypertension, high blood lipid levels, and insulin resistance from being overweight the first thing you need to do is to maintain the weight. Once some of the healthy behaviors have been adopted then the recommendation is to lose no more than one pound a month.


If your child experiences acute complications from being overweight, such as sleep apnea, obesity hypoventilation syndrome, or orthopedic problems, they should be referred to a pediatric physician that specializes in complications of children that are overweight.

Healthy Behaviors:

  • Be more physically active.
  • Spend less time watching TV.
  • Spend less time playing computer and video games.
  • Eat more family meals together.
  • Eat a healthy breakfast.
  • Eat more colorful vegetables and fruits.
  • Drink less soda and sweetened fruit drinks.
  • Eat less sweets and salty snacks.


Candance Gabel, M.S. R.D., Assistant Program Director, College of Human Environmental Sciences, University of Missouri Extension






Can't Find Your Question Here? Try Searching Our Quick Answer Knowledge Base

Last update: Tuesday, December 09, 2008



University of Missouri logo links to

Site Administrator: 
Copyright  ADA  Equal Opportunity

MissouriFamilies is produced by the College of Human Environmental Sciences,
Extension Division, University of Missouri-Columbia