Nutrition &

Ask A Question?
Search Quick Answer Knowledge Base
Want More Food
& Fitness Information?
Quick Answers
Feature Articles
Learning Opportunities
Back to
Quick Answers
Can't Find Your Question Here? Try Searching Our Quick Answer Knowledge Base

My doctor has placed me on a diet and I don't know where to start. Who can I talk to get more nutritional advice?

Ask your doctor to refer you to a Registered Dietitian. These health care professionals are best trained to assess your nutritional status and provide you with dietary guidance that meets both your medical needs and lifestyle. You can also find a dietitian in your area, by contacting your local department of health or local hospital. However, with a physician's referral, you may be more likely to get reimbursement from your health insurance provider. Dietitians work in public health, out-patient and in-patient clinics and in food service. For more information, visit the American Dietetic Association's website: 

Melinda Hemmelgarn, M.S., R.D., Former Nutritional Sciences Specialist, University of Missouri-Columbia

University of Missouri Extension Site Administrator: 

Last updated:06/17/2015
Copyright ADA Equal Opportunity