Nutrition &

Ask A Question?
Search Quick Answer Knowledge Base
Want More Food
& Fitness Information?
Quick Answers
Feature Articles
Learning Opportunities
Back to
Quick Answers
Can't Find Your Question Here? Try Searching Our Quick Answer Knowledge Base

My doctor says I have high cholesterol. What can I do to lower it?

Ask your doctor to refer you to a Registered Dietitian. These health care professionals are best trained to assess your nutritional status and provide you with dietary guidance that meets both your medical needs and lifestyle. With a physician's referral, you may be more likely to get reimbursement from your health insurance provider. The Dietitian will ask you about medications, medical, exercise and diet history. There are many options available to lower cholesterol. Your doctor may prescribe a drug, increasing exercise, and/or changing your diet. Usually, lifestyle changes are advised first. For the most up-to-date information on cholesterol and heart disease, visit the American Heart Association's web site: 

Melinda Hemmelgarn, M.S., R.D., Former Nutritional Sciences Specialist, University of Missouri-Columbia

University of Missouri Extension Site Administrator: 

Last updated:06/17/2015
Copyright ADA Equal Opportunity