Nutrition &

Ask A Question?
Search Quick Answer Knowledge Base
Want More Food
& Fitness Information?
Quick Answers
Feature Articles
Learning Opportunities
Back to
Quick Answers
Can't Find Your Question Here? Try Searching Our Quick Answer Knowledge Base

My recipe calls for baking ammonia but I can't find it at the supermarket.  Where can I find it?

Baking ammonia, also called "Hartshorn" or "Hart's Horn" is ammonium bicarbonate, a leavening agent. It can often be purchased in pharmacies. It is often the leavening called for in German Springerle cookie recipes. If you cannot find baking ammonia, The Joy of Cooking recipe book has a Springerle recipe that uses ordinary baking powder.

Barbara Willenberg, Nutritional Sciences, University of Missouri-Columbia.

University of Missouri Extension Site Administrator: 

Last updated:06/17/2015
Copyright ADA Equal Opportunity