MU Extension MU Extension       University of Missouri    ●    Columbia    ●    Kansas City       Rolla     ●    St. Louis - Adults and Children - Adolescents



Quick Answers...


Where can grandparents get information about their rights to visit or adopt their grandchildren?

Grandparents may obtain legal rights to children by requesting legal visitation, custody or guardianship. However, these are only granted in certain situations. The Grandparent Rights section of the Senior Citizen Handbook on the Missouri Bar Website has more information. These options should be further discussed with a lawyer.

If you need help finding an attorney, you may contact the Missouri Bar Lawyer Referral Service at (573) 635-3635.

  • In St. Louis (314) 621-6681
  • In Kansas City (816) 221-9472
  • In Springfield (417) 831-2783

A local Area Agency on Aging may also be able to provide information on options for grandparents as well. To find the one nearest you, link to or call 1-800-235-5503.




Kim Leon, Ph.D., Former Assistant Professor and State Specialist, Human Development & Family Studies, Human Environmental Sciences Extension, University of Missouri-Columbia

Alison Levitch, Human Development & Family Studies Graduate Student, Human Environmental Sciences Extension, University of Missouri-Columbia





Can't Find Your Question Here? Try Searching Our Quick Answer Knowledge Basee

Last update: Wednesday, May 13, 2009





University of Missouri logo links to

Site Administrator: 
Copyright  ADA  Equal Opportunity

MissouriFamilies is produced by the College of Human Environmental Sciences,
Extension Division, University of Missouri-Columbia