In Missouri, how are Hispanic mothers doing in terms of health risks compare with those of Anglo and African-American mothers?
Compared to changes in Anglo and African-American mothers in Missouri between 1994 and 1999, Hispanic mothers had:
- the greatest decline in smoking during pregnancy,
- a greater decline in their teen pregnancy rate than Anglo mothers,
- the greatest increase in the number of high school dropouts,
- the greatest increase in the number of women with inadequate prenatal care, and
- had the greatest increases in the use of assistance from Medicaid, WIC, and food stamps.
Source: Lynn Blinn Pike, Ph.D., Human Development and Family Studies, University of Missouri-Columbia
Last update: Wednesday, May 13, 2009