What are some general guidelines parents can teach
children about Internet safety?
- Don't give out personal information (name, address,
age, school, birthday, phone number, etc.)
- Choose a screen name that doesn’t identify any
personal information. Examples of bad screen names:
saragirl15, tommyboy, girl-in-denver, babygirl12.
- Don’t share your password with anyone except your
parents — not even your best friend.
- Do not respond to unwanted, mean, offensive or
threatening e-mail, chat room dialogue or instant
- Don’t send pictures of yourself to someone you don’t
- NEVER agree to meet someone you met on the
- Remember, people online may or may NOT be who they say
- Promise to tell an adult if you ever feel uncomfortable while online.
Jodie Lawton, Children's Advocacy Services of Greater St. Louis, University of Missouri-St. Louis
Last update: Wednesday, May 13, 2009